You love your garden and spend a lot of time there, especially in the summer. You have a greenhouse where you grow tender plants that require warmth and humidity to thrive.
The greenhouse also has its own electric supply, but it’s not reliable. It can go down anytime or even last for weeks on end if the weather is unkind.
How can you keep your plants happy during those periods? With a generator! A portable generator will keep them thriving even when the power goes off. Read on to discover how you can use one in your shed.
What is a generator?
A generator is an electrical device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. When you take a step back to think about it, that’s pretty amazing.
With a generator, you can create your own power at home, even when there is no power grid available. Generators have been around since the early 20th century.
The first models were powered by burning oil or natural gas. They were expensive to run and very loud. In the 1950s, however, the first portable, gasoline-powered generator was invented. This model was much more affordable than the previous ones and could be used in many ways.
Since then, generators have come a long way. Today’s models use an electric motor to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. They can be powered by natural gas, propane, gasoline, or diesel fuel.
Why use a generator in your shed?
A generator is a great investment, especially if you have a greenhouse or a shed with a lot of electrical equipment.
A generator can be used to power your greenhouse and maintain the correct temperature and humidity.
Even in the winter, you can use a generator to keep your greenhouse warm! If you have an electric fence in your shed or greenhouse, a generator can provide power to it during an outage.
If you want to keep the shed cool by using a cooling system, a generator can power fans and air conditioners. It can also be used to power lights and other appliances.
A generator is ideal to use in a shed because it can provide power even when the main source of electricity goes off.
Also Read: Portable generators what size do i need?
How to choose a portable generator
A generator is not an appliance you purchase on a whim. When you decide to get one, you need to make sure you get the right one for your needs.
If you get the wrong model, it might not be useful for your application. Here are a couple of factors to consider when choosing a portable generator:
– Power – This is the most important factor to consider when purchasing a generator. The power needed will depend on the appliances you want to run.
– Size – The size of the generator you get will determine where you can place it. You need to decide if you want to move it about or keep it in one place.
– Fuel type – You can choose between propane, natural gas, gasoline, or diesel. Each type of fuel has unique advantages and disadvantages.
Installing it in your shed
You can install a portable generator in your shed in two different ways. You can either place it on the floor or mount it on the wall.
Placing it on the floor is a good choice if you want to run it all the time. It’s also a good option if you can’t mount a generator on the wall. Mounting it on the wall is a better choice if you only want to use it during power outages.
You don’t want to run it all the time because it might harm the floor. You can install the generator close to an outlet or switch that is used for other appliances.
You need to make sure that the wires from the generator are far enough from the walls so they don’t ignite.
Tips to maintain and care for your generator
– Keep it dry – If you live in a rainy area, you have to maintain your generator with care. You need to cover it with a tarp when it rains and keep it in a dry place when it’s not in use.
– Keep it clean – Make sure that the engine is clean at all times. Clean the spark plug and fuel tank regularly. Keep the engine clean and oiled.
– Maintain the battery – If your generator is battery-powered, you need to maintain the battery. You should charge it after each use so it’s ready to go the next time you need it.
– Store it properly – You need to store your generator in a way that prevents it from getting damaged. You can store it in a shed or garage. If you don’t have a place to store it, it’s better to store it outside. But, be careful not to get wet when it rains.
Also Read: What Happens When You Overload a Generator: Overload causes
A portable generator can provide you with constant power even when the main source of electricity goes off. It can be used in many different ways, including in a greenhouse and a shed.
When purchasing a generator, look at the power and the size. Make sure the model you choose has the capacity to power the appliances you want to run.
When you maintain and care for your generator, it will last you for many years.