A group of Central Park residents met in January 1901 to form a
Farmers Institute that was incorporated in May 1901.
They leased seventeen acres of Central Park from the Provincial
Government and arranged for government grants to construct a
The building was ready in time for the September 1901 Fall Fair and
was described as “second to none outside Victoria and New
1903 the Institute amalgamated with the South Vancouver and Burnaby
Agricultural Society to become the Central Park Agricultural
Association & Farmers Institute.
continued to improve the building and grounds and to hold successful
club’s efforts were rewarded in 1906 by a visit from B.C. Premier
Richard McBride to their annual Fair.
1907 the membership doubled to five hundred twenty members.
urbanization and World War 1 saw the last exhibition on 1919.
lease expired in 1921 and building was demolished in 1924.
society continued to meet and hold small exhibitions in rented halls
under the name The South Burnaby Horticultural Association.
After several name changes, the association became
the SOUTH BURNABY GARDEN CLUB
Today the SOUTH
BURNABY GARDEN CLUB
affiliated with the
B.C. COUNCIL OF GARDEN CLUBS.